RE: [Snowball-discuss] There is another system named snowball

From: Martin Porter (martin_porter@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 08:39:31 GMT

Yes, I rather assumed when choosing the name that there must be other things
called Snowball - it is a fairly obvious word with its suggestion of rolling
growth etc. Although it is a pity, as Steve points out, that there's another
Snowball in a similar field. However, if our work gets referred to as
Snowball Stemming there will be no confusion.

I don't want to push the name Porter. Apart from the obvious accusations of
vanity that would follow, it would create confusion with the original Porter
stemmer, which is not what Snowball is primarily about.

Martin