[Snowball-discuss] Porter 1 perl.txt rehash

From: Allan Fields (afieldscom@idirect.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 11:32:16 BST

Hi,

Here are a few ideas I've come across for perl.txt (Porter 1 for Perl). Let
me know what you think of it. I might be interested to make Porter 2 for
Perl or help with a snowball -> perl converter that uses an optimal
algorithm/regular expressions. With the Perl interface to snowball, I'm not
certain this will be highly necessary... However, it could help to have a
Porter 2 reference stemmer for Perl. Hopefully all of the previously
enumerated stemmers can improve on their code to see that it all works as the
algorithm dictates but some might have other aims such as a more closely
formed stem to dictionary words. stem.pl/Text::English uses i$ -> y$ as a
nicification for example.

Allan Fields