[Snowball-discuss] Re: Compile Errors ....

From: Martin Porter (martin_porter@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 20:08:23 BST

Dear Art,

(Snowball messages should be sent to snowball-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net)

I can hardly criticise you for using Borland 5.1 when I see that my own
version is Borland 4.02! It is a while since I've used the Borland system,
but I recall a clear distinction between warning and error messages, and
would have thoughts its complaints about operator ambiguities ought to fall
into the former category.

Have there been versions C where the binding powers of operators was
different from the contemporary ANSI C definitions? I find it odd how
compilers so often attach importance to this stuff.

Anyway, the fully bracketed expressions are of course

  if (min == (1<<16)) error(a, 16);
  for (i = 12; i >= 0; i -= 4) write_hexdigit(g, (ch >> i) & 0xf);
  bit_is_set(symbol * b, int i) { return b[i/8] & (1 << (i%8)); }

Tell us how you get on. It will be more of a problem if you hit the same
thing in the C output generated by Snowball.

Martin