[Snowball-discuss] Re: russian stemmer

From: Martin Porter (martin_porter@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 06:13:02 BST

Oleg,

I've had a look at -n-ogo, -n-yi etc endings through the Russian vocabulary,
and feel that I would need to take linguistic advice before I could make any
progress with -n- removal.

As you may recall, I did the Russian stemmer with a linguist, Pat Miles, who
lives some 60 miles away, and is not really a computer user. Also, Pat
charges for his work, which is a further inconvenience to me! I'd rather try
to get free linguistic help now through the open source community. Is there
anyone you know in Russia who might experiment a bit further with the
Snowball stemmer to see if they could make improvements here?

Martin