[Snowball-discuss] French stemmer, Snowball project

From: Martin Porter (martin_porter@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 12:24:01 BST

[This masseage to Fred Brault ought to be posted on snowball-discuss, as it
give the background to some recent changes to the Snowball site. It was
originally sent 1 Sept 02 - Martin]

Fred,

I've looked at the algorithm alongside your comments, and can now report back.

Things aren't as bad as I at first thought ...

A) The rule for marking u and i/y as consonants is not explained at all
well, and will have to be improved. The point is that it works from left to
right along the word. So in risquiez (to quote one of your examples), i is
vowel because it is between consonants, u is a consonant because it is after
q, and the following i is a vowel because it is after U (u as a consonant)
and before i. So the word becomes risqUiez, and not, as you have it, risquIez.

If you think about it, the i should not be treated as a consonant in this case.

This accounts for most of the differences you noted.

B) There is a clear slip in the description of the algorithm, which you have
spotted. For 'eus' before 'ement', it should read: "delete if in R2, or
replace by 'eux' if in R1". I will put that right. ('ement' is tricky
because it is a single form for two endings - see the table of endings for
the Romance languages.)

This explains the 'pieusement' example. I realise the algorithm is failing
to equate pieuse with pieux, but that is a short-stem problem (see below).

But the treatment of -ier etc in step 4 is correct. Remember that the test
operates in RV (this is declared at the front of the step). In crier, RV is
just [er], not [ier]. I realise that -er is an ending in crier, but allowing
for very short stems like 'cri' leads to too many errors generally.

This is a problem with all the Romance language stemmers, and the definition
of RV, rather complicated for some of them, is trying to get the balance
just right. It is because there are in all these languages certain verbs
with very short stems. crier, prier, rier etc. I have occasionally tried to
establish lists of such verbs, but it is not easy.

C) Now for your final suggestion, to respell i{e`}r as i{e`}re etc after
ement removal. This doesn't quite work since iere is only removed later if
nothing was done in the step that removed ement, but you can get the effect
by just replacing i{e`r} in RV with i, following ement removal.

This leads to the following pattern of changes:

familier famili
familièrement familier -> famili

financier financi
financièrement financier -> financi

foncièrement foncier -> fonci

grossière grossi
grossièrement grossier -> grossi
grossières grossi

irrégulière irréguli
irrégulièrement irrégulier -> irréguli
irréguliers irréguli

particulière particuli
particulièrement particulier -> particuli
particuliers particuli

premier premi
première premi
premièrement premier -> premi
premières premi
premiers premi

régulier réguli
régulière réguli
régulièrement régulier -> réguli

singulier singuli
singulière singuli
singulièrement singulier -> singuli
singulières singuli
singuliers singuli

- a definite improvement so I will put it in. The change in the Snowball
script is

                try (
                    [substring] among(
'iv' (R2 delete ['at'] R2 delete)
'eus' ((R2 delete) or (R1<-'eux'))
'abl' 'iqU' (R2 delete)
'i{e`}r' <---new
'I{e`}r' <---new
                            (RV <-'i') <---new
                    )
                )
            )

The case I{e`}r should be included here, and yet there are no words in the
sample vocabulary that illustrate it. The question is, can you think of a
word ending Vie`rement in French, where V is a vowel!?

I will add (A), (B), (C) in soon. Right now the website is being reorganised
(possibly going to a new server), but when Richard Boulton has finished that
I will put the changes in place.

Martin