[Snowball-discuss] Porter2: Accident and Accidentally

From: Steve Jones (mr_srjones@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 14:56:01 GMT

Hi

I am new to the group, so please fogive me if I am repeating something which has already been discussed. I recently came across the instructions to create a Porter 2 Stemmer and created my own version (everyone loves a challenge!) in Java.

I noticed that the word "accident" and "accidentally" are stemmed differently, as is "incident" and "incidentally". There may be others but I haven't found the time to look.

accident -> accid
accidentally -> accident
incident -> incid
incidentally -> incident

Has anyone come across this before? Is there any way to fix?

Regards,

Steve

Send instant messages for free with MSN Messenger. Click here to download it now!