[Snowball-discuss] Possible grammatical corrections ...

From: Martin Porter (martin_porter@SoftHome.net)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 19:12:02 BST

Amores,

Thank you for your interest in our work, and the list of corrections:-

>http://snowball.tartarus.org/texts/introduction.html
>
>"standardly" -> "usually"
>
>(Unless you are certain that "standardly" is an English word; I myself
> have never seen it.)

I'm not at all certain, but it would take more than that for me to stop
using it! "usually" would not be correct here.

>" transpire has come to mean 'happen', and its old meaning of 'exhalation'
>or 'breathing out' is now effectively lost. "
>
> I believe that I encountered this meaning routinely many years ago
> working in a botanical research lab. (However, I do not dispute that this
> meaning has been effectively lost outside of this one field.)

Good point. I should look for an example word that doesn't retain an older
meaning in certain technical contexts.

>"not because the word being stemmed had changed its meaning"
>
>-> "not because the word being stemmed has changed its meaning"

- done.

-- as is the typo reported in your second email

Martin