[Snowball-discuss] Lindset question

From: Martin Porter (martin.porter@grapeshot.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 09:03:02 BST

Håvard,

You are quite right that I was not sent your question although it appears in
the Snowball-discuss archives - attached to the wrong thread. I don't know
if Richard Boulton has any idea what happened here.

In step 4 finding -able means -ion is not looked for (only one suffix is
removed in step 4). You may think that is a questionable approach, but that
is how the algorithm works, and it explains the result.

Your picture shows R2 too far to the left. I'm not sure why. But I don't
think that affects the answer above.

I suggest you look at the Snowball script itself as an aid in understanding
the semantics.

I don't know what NNTP servers are, but perhaps someone else could help,

Martin