[Snowball-discuss] Problem with compiling Snowball under Visual C++

From: Charlie Hull (charlie@lemurconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 16:47:01 GMT

Hi Martin & all,

I've been trying to get Snowball working using Microsoft Visual C++ and have
encountered a couple of small problems:

1. All the individual stemmers are held in files called 'stem.c'. This means
that Visual C++ attempts to compile them into object files called 'stem.obj'
and then gets most confused at link time. I can get round this by some
automated renaming of the sources so it's not a huge problem.

2. In most of the stem.c files there are structures as follows:

switch(x)
{
   case 12:
        {
        if(something) then goto lab4;
        [do something to be skipped]
        lab4: <--- compiler error here "missing ';' before '}"
        }
        break;
}

If I add a ';' just after the label then the compiler is happy. Does anyone
have any comment? I'm not very familiar with Snowball so apologies for any
misassumptions!

Thanks in advance

Charlie Hull

---