[Snowball-discuss] Suggestion for German stemmer

From: Blake Madden (madden_blake@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 12:40:18 GMT

I wish to offer a suggestion for the German stemmer.

In step 1a, I propose deleting a "t" if in R1 and proceed by a valid "t"
ending. I suggest a valid "t" ending as any non-vowel other than "s". This
would stem words such as "habt", "tanzt", and "leibt" down to the roots
"hab", "tanz", and "leib". This would be useful because when the word
"haben" appears as "haben", "habt", and "habe", it is stemmed down to "hab".

I am not a native speaker of German, so there may be something important
that I am not taking into account. However, I am hoping that my suggestion
could actually be useful.

Thank you for your consideration,
Blake

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es