Re: [Snowball-discuss] Undoubling in Dutch stemmer

From: Martin Porter (martin.porter@grapeshot.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 08:31:49 GMT

I don't recall the details now, but I think I went through consonant by
consonant trying the effect of undoubling. That was my approach in
developing the stemmers generally. So if a plausible rule is not included it
is because, on balance, it did not seem to lead to an improvement. Of course
any rule might be reassessed, and will store this one for the next time I
look at the Dutch stemmer.

You may have noticed that there is not much work being done on the stemmers
at the moment ...

Martin