[Snowball-discuss] Norwegian stemmer

From: Bruusgaard, Jan (Jan.Bruusgaard@ssb.no)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 14:35:47 GMT

 <<stop.txt>>
I have tried the Norwegian stemmer together with our search engine at www.ssb.no and I ran into some problems.

It is my opinion that the letter "k" should be removed from the define_s_ending.

There are many Norwegian words that end in "ks", and where the "s" is not genitive. I.e. the Norwegian word for salmon - laks. If you remove the s here the word "lak" has no meaning. Other examples from the Norwegian test vocabulary of Snowball are: boks, heks, juks

To me it seems like there is a tendency over time in Norwegian not to use the genitive "s" and use separate words instead, like in English to use the word "of" instead of 's.

I also enclose an updated version of the Norwegian list of stopwords. The list included some Swedish and Danish words, like "inte". Maybe the list was made by a person who do not have Norwegian as their native language. I also removed some duplicates. I also added the words: bare, enn, fordi, før, mange, også, slik, vært.

Regards

Jan Bruusgaard
Statistics Norway