[Snowball-discuss] Subversion / CVS / Tarballs

From: Richard Boulton (richard@tartarus.org)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 15:58:14 BST

I've just completed a move of the snowball sources from our old CVS
based repository to a new Subversion based repository. This won't
directly affect many people - possibly only Martin and myself.

For those who don't know, Subversion is essentially a greatly improved
successor to CVS, with better support for moving files around and
similar operations.

I've taken advantage of these features to reorganise the files in the
snowball repository. The main work has been to separate the source
code, the documentation, and the test data.

Apart from making the source tree more manageable, the main result of
this work is that I've been able to produce a set of tarballs, some
containing just code, some containing code and documentation, and one
containing the code, documentation, and test data. These are all
available from the download page.

I've also included the libstemmer library I've been working on very
slowly for the last few years. This provides a sensible C interface to
the stemming algorithms, aimed at those users who simply wish to use the
snowball stemmers without worrying about the internal implementation (or
even how to run the snowball compiler).

The old CVS repository is currently read-only, and will be removed at
some stage.

See the bottom of the download page
(http://snowball.tartarus.org/download.php) for details on anonymous
readonly access to the subversion repository.

--
Richard Boulton <richard@tartarus.org>