Re: [Snowball-discuss] Java stemmers

From: James Aylett (james-xapian@tartarus.org)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 09:25:56 GMT

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 04:51:18PM +0000, Richard Boulton wrote:

> I modified the applications so that it explicitly reads in blocks of 8k,
> (rather than using a BufferedInputStream, which I would have thought
> would internally buffer, but didn't seem to).

BufferInputStream certainly contains a byte[]-based buffer, with a
default size of 2048 bytes. It may be this, or possibly some
inefficiency in its buffer code, that's causing the problem, I
guess. I haven't got source for post-JDK 1.1, and haven't actually
checked the code in detail myself, but the classes involved were
written by one of the better Sun Java engineers, so I'd be inclined to
trust it.

--
  James Aylett                                            zap.tartarus.org
  james@tartarus.org                                        footlights.org