[Snowball-discuss] Re: stemmers in snowball

From: Martin Porter (martin_porter@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 12:35:31 GMT

Sonja,

Sorry to have been a bit slow, but I see what is wrong now.

In q/ there is a sample stemmer called stem.c, so that you can, if you wish,
compile the contents of q/ and try it out without even bothering to generate
a stemmer. driver.c in the same directory uses stem.c, so when you generate
german.c, with different external names, it all compiles and links okay, but
it is stem.c that gets called up, not german.c.

So, remove stem.c from the q/ directory. Make german.c again, but don't
bother with the -v and -e options:

    Snowball german/german.sbl -o q/german

Then recompile as before.

Assuming you get this working, let me know, and we'll get better
instructions to you.

I note you have not replied since yesterday - perhaps you have given up in
disgust. Hope not.

Martin