Re: [Snowball-discuss] Snowball progress

From: Oleg Bartunov (oleg@sai.msu.su)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 11:40:53 GMT

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Martin Porter wrote:

> I apologise, with Richard Boulton, for the slow response some of you are
> getting to your postings, but we are currently rather busy with other work.
> Nevertheless Snowball will continue to develop and make use of your
> contributions.
>
> I have altered Richard's Java codegenerator slightly so that it uses the
> same space handling mechanism as the rest of the Snowball compiler. Two
> modules have thereby disappeared and the result is a lot cleaner.
>
> The Java work is not as yet properly documented, or placed on the website so
> that it can be easily distributed. This is the next thing to address. We
> will also find a placing for the Perl bindings contribution from Oleg Bartunov.

Perl interface to Snowball stemmers is written by Teodor Sigaev
(teodor@stack.net) in framework of our full text search engine OpenFTS
(openfts.sourceforge.net). I just inspire him and help in testing and
documentations. So, please, credit to Teodor.
We're looking for official reference to this package, because it's our
opinion the module should be developed in framework of Snowball project
(and it's really an interface, not a perl implementation of a stemmer).
We need an URL, so our users could download the module.

> I want to look again at the issue of providing Unicode support - obviously
> desirable now we have Java stemmers. I'll do that over the next few weeks I
> hope.
>
> Martin Porter

        Regards,
                Oleg