[Snowball-discuss] Can regular expressions be used to implement Porter Stemmer

From: Sven Neumann (webmaster@yellowpagesmalta.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 10:32:02 BST

Something less deep I have been wondering about is if snowball supports
regular expressions. I went through a lot of trouble of porting Perl5
compatible regexes for my own programming language, and it seemed the
easiest way to implement Porter. But snowball doesn't do that either,
and it's designed for stemmers as such. Is there a specific reason for
this, and if not, are there samples of a regex porter stemmer?

Thank you,

Sven Neumann

PS: Please do not use html formatted mail, as it mixes badly in the