Re: [Snowball-discuss] what about Perl PorterStemmer

From: cyrille (cyrilleml@kbuilder.net)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 12:12:01 BST

Olly Betts a écrit:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:14:30PM +0200, cyrille wrote:
>
>>Martin Porter a écrit:
>>
>>>No, the perl version is just for the the so-called Porter stemmer (English)
>>
>>Do you think it is a hard work to rewrite it
>>with rules from http://www.snowball.tartarus.org/french/stemmer.html ??
>>Perhaps I will loose my time or is it possible ??
>

> I would say the most useful approach would be to write a Perl backend
> for the Snowball compiler. Then *any* Snowball stemmer (existing or yet
> to be written) would be automatically available in Perl as well.

hello Olly,

there is already one :
  http://www.snowball.tartarus.org/wrappers/guide.html
perhaps I can use it but my needs are a bit special.

in a Perl application I've to create keywords for indexing.
but text to be indexed comes by many little peaces of string by the way of da application get.
So I'm afraid that calling a external application for each strings will break down performances...

But I did not try da Perl wrappers, perhaps I miss some knowledge.
Perhaps the stemmer say in memory ?

regards,
cyrille