Re: [Snowball-discuss] two results

From: Olly Betts (olly@survex.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 13:58:01 BST

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:29:11PM +0100, Martin Porter wrote:
> Continuing Richard's discussion, an example in English would be "routing",
> which might stem either to "route" (a verb meaning "to direct"), or "rout"
> (a verb meaning "to defeat in battle"). This example is given elsewhere on
> the Snowball website. In English, examples like this are very rare.

Cool, I was just trying to think of an example!

You could usefully use a stemmer like this for IR without major changes
to the IR system I think. Xapian (www.xapian.org) would accommodate it
anyway.

If multiple forms are all indexed, and OR-ed when processing queries,
then a search for "route" would match "routing", but not "rout". A
search for "routed" would matching "rout", "route", and "routing". And
so on...

Cheers,
    Olly