Re: [Snowball-discuss] Re: Bug report?

From: James Aylett (james@tartarus.org)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 10:48:01 BST

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:43:40PM +0100, Martin Porter wrote:

> I can't explain the problems you had with email I'm afraid. I've certainly
> received executables, and files containing viruses, as unwanted attachments,
> within the past few months.

I recently raised the default for all email running through Tartarus
to MODERATE; this means that Windows-executable files not correctly
marked as such (eg: application/octet-stream) will have the email
rejected.

This is due to a significant rise in the number of viruses recently,
and will only affect people using software that does not correctly use
MIME. Hopefully I won't have to raise it to PARANOID, which rejects
all Windows-executable attachments outright.

Cheers,
James

--
  james@tartarus.org                               uncertaintydivision.org