[Snowball-discuss] English stemmer

From: Peter Kolloch (pkolloch@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 17:25:01 GMT

Hi,

first thanks for your work.

I recognized a systematic weakness in your English stemmer. It does not
reduce superlatives. For example "greatest" and "brightest" just remain
unchanged.

Unfortunately just stupiditly removing "est" does probably not work that
well. Grammatically this does not make sense for "test", "guest",
"zest", Yet they might be no clashes with other stems...

Regards,
Peter

[I am currently not subscribed to this list, so it would be nice, if you
could send me a copy of your answer directly to my address]