Re: [Snowball-discuss] English stemmer

From: Martin Porter (martin.porter@grapeshot.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 23:00:02 GMT

Yes -est is not removed, there being too many words from which its removal
would be incorrect - behest, attest, request and so on. Removing -est from
longer words only is not really satisfactory, since the English comparitive
and superlative endings are only added to short adjectives anyway: "curioser
and curioser" is not, of course, correct English.

Martin