Re: [Snowball-discuss] Finnish vowels

From: Martin Porter (martin.porter@grapeshot.co.uk)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 11:11:07 BST

Hi Blake!

The point is that Finland was under Swedish control for a century or more (I
do not recall the exact period) and there was a huge influx of Swedish words
into the language. But the Swedish a-ring is not strictly part of Finnish
morphology just as French accents are not part of English, although they
exist in many loan words. A-ring could be added as a vowel to the Finnish
stemmer, but would not significantly affect results.

I left A-ring in the vocabulary samples because my policy has not been to
doctor the vocabularies by removing spelling errors and so on.