[Snowball-discuss] Re: Possible memory leak in Snowballs Java stemmer (Richard Boulton)

From: Richard Boulton (richard@tartarus.org)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 11:28:02 BST

Chris Cleveland wrote:
> I missed the original message about Java and memory problems, but
> I've done a fair amount of thinking about how the Java code could be
> re-architected. Here are the difficulties with the current system:

Most of your suggestions make some sense to me, though I can't see how
to implement some of them. I have no time to implement changes to the
Java stemmers, anyway. If you put together a patch (diff -u format,
please), I would be happy to review it, and include it if appropriate.

I understand that reflection is considered slow and inefficient - which
is a shame, since it's a very nice language feature. I don't quite
follow how you propose to remove it. The Among structure reflects one
of the features of the snowball language, and I can't see how to reflect
this feature without use of such a structure. When implemented in C,
the among structure contains a function pointer: the reflection used in
the Among class in java does the same job - calling a function in the
snowball program (see the Finnish stemmer for an example of a stemmer
which uses this callback feature).

Anyway, a patch would make all your suggestions clear.

--
Richard