RE: [Snowball-discuss] evaluation of Snowball stemmers

From: Fred Gey (gey@uclink.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 18:06:53 GMT

Hi,

We utilized the Russian snowball stemmer for our Russian IR experiences in
CLEF 2003.
After the workshop we ran some stemmer/no-stemmer experiments. The results
were remarkable (I did not test statistical significance): for
Title-Description (shorter queries) average precision went from 0. 259 to
0.334 (29% improvement), for Title-Description-Narrative (longer queries),
average precision went from 0.236 to 0.367 (56% improvement). These
experiments were performed post-workshop, so are not included in the
notebook paper online, but are in the final paper "UC Berkeley at CLEF-2003
- Russian Language Experiments and Domain-Specific Retrieval " in the book
just released by Springer: Comparative Evaluation of Multilingual
Information Access Systems, 4th Workshop of the Cross-Language Evaluation
Forum, CLEF 2003, Trondheim, Norway, August 21-22, 2003, Revised Selected
Papers Series : Lecture Notes in Computer Science , Vol. 3237.

There were some encoding issues. The snowball Russian stemmer only works on
KOI-8 encoding, so we converted the entire CLEF Russian collection from
UTF-8 to KOI-8 using the unix iconv utility.

Fred
Fredric C Gey, PhD
Data Archivist and Assistant Director
UC Data Archive & Technical Assistance (UC DATA)
University of California, Berkeley

Interests: Cross-language Information Retrieval
               Social Science Databases
web page: http://ucdata.berkeley.edu/gey.html