[Snowball-discuss] Re: Snowball question

From: Richard Boulton (richard@tartarus.org)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 11:08:00 BST

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 21:53 -0400, Lucas Champollion wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a linguistics student at the University of Pennsylvania. I'd like
> to write my own morphological analyzer for Middle French in Snowball.
> I can't seem to install the program though. The instructions on
> http://snowball.tartarus.org/runtime/use.html seem outdated: for
> example, the Quick Start makes reference to a directory "q" that
> doesn't exist. Also, I'm not sure which file I should download to
> start with, before the Quick Start instructions?

(I've copied this reply to the snowball mailing list - others may be
interested.)

You're right - the instructions on the website are currently out of
date. Martin and I are working on updating them, but in the meantime:

You probably want to download the
http://snowball.tartarus.org/dist/snowball_code.tgz
tarball: this contains the snowball compiler and all the algorithms, but
no generated files or a copy of the documentation on the website.

The directory referred to as "q" on the website has now been renamed to
"runtime". use.html also refers to the file "driver-porter.c" which is
no longer included in the source tarball, but is available at
http://snowball.tartarus.org/runtime/driver-porter.c.

However, if your system has GNU make installed, your best bet is to use
the supplied GNUmakefile, which contains rules for compiling all the
stemmers and the example program "stemwords" - simply run "make" in the
same directory as the file GNUmakefile to build everything. To develop
your own stemmer, either just modify one of the existing stemmers, or
add a new entry "test" to the definition of "algorithms" at line 9,
create your stemmer definition in "algorithms/test/stem.sbl", and run
make each time you want to recompile.

--
Richard Boulton <richard@tartarus.org>