Re: [Snowball-discuss] php stemmer

From: Olly Betts (olly@survex.com)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 13:17:26 BST

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:29:36AM +0200, Martin Porter wrote:
> Not as far as I know. (Has anyone connected with snowball done this?)

Xapian includes the snowball stemmers and has PHP wrappers. We don't
currently have the latest snowball versions though (I'll be updating
fairly soon).

http://www.xapian.org/

http://www.xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/classXapian_1_1Stem.html

The current Xapian release supports PHP4, but someone's recently pointed
out to me that it actually builds and works with PHP5 if you fix the
configure checks! So the next release will support PHP5 too.

There's also a native PHP implementation (rather than a wrapper around
the generated C version) for just the English stemmer on Martin's own
stemmer page:

http://www.tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer/

I've never tried it, so I can't comment on performance or how
accurately it implements the algorithm.

Cheers,
    Olly