Re: [Snowball-discuss] Converting and compiling the stemmer sources

From: richard@lemurconsulting.com
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 11:52:43 GMT

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:37:05PM +0100, Dirk Weissmann wrote:
> Dear Snowball developers,
>
> my name is Dirk Weissmann and I tried to convert and compile the Snowball source file (the example file which contains the original algorithm for English). The program built two ANSI C source files: english.c and english.h. As I tried to compile them and build the biary file 'english' the compiler didn't compile it; there were numerous warnings and errors, e.g.:

Snowball generated sources frequently cause quite a few compiler warnings, but shouldn't cause any compiler errors. I'm not sure what's happening here, since the line numbers and errors generated don't match up with any generated version of the english source file.

Please send me the following information, and I'll try and see what is going on:

 - Most important: the URL from which you downloaded the source files (both that for snowball and the english stemming algorithm, if separate URLS were used). It's possible you got it from an out-of-date source which I've missed.

 - The exact procedure you went through to generate and compile the files from the downloaded files. Ideally a log of the commands and their output.

 - What compiler and operating system you're using.

 - Optionally, the generated english.c file.

Thanks,

--
Richard