Re: [Snowball-discuss] Unicode and python bindings

From: Patrick Mézard (pmezard@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 12:06:23 BST

Andreas Jung wrote:
> TextIndexNG3 for Zope (sf.net/projects/textindexng) comes with its
> own Python bindings against the latest Snowball code base...and the
> completeimplementation is based on unicode and in use since ages...
Thank you for pointing me back to TextIndexNG3, I gave it a try some
times ago but not hard enough it seems. It compiles perfectly under
Windows and looking at the code there is no doubt you handle the whole
thing much better than I do. I just wonder why you decided to convert
all the input UTF-16 python strings to UTF-8 instead of using them
directly with Snowball. Anyway, both versions work the same (for my
tests at least) and yours is definitely better.

As Martin said, it could be useful to add something to the project
description on Snowball page. But I do not know how to present this: the
bindings I was looking for and finally rewrote were to be used as a
replacement for the ones provided with Xapian. The fact is yours can
almost be used as a standalone module (provided people knows how to
build them from the separate setup.py, which is really easy) and are
based on the latest Snowball release. Maybe this can be added to the
Snowball project page, or even to the wrapper one.

--
Patrick Mézard