Re: [Snowball-discuss] Japanese stemmer?

From: Martin Porter (martin.porter@grapeshot.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 10:00:27 GMT

Yes, the xapian-discuss reference to Chinese/Japanese was corrected by
Olly Betts following a complaint. I suppose I must take responsibility
for the earlier statement on Japanese, since I recognise the text as my
own: pure ignorance on my part.

At least in principle, I'm interested myself in collaborating to make a
Japanese stemmer. However I must add a few caveats. I am currently
rather busy with other work, and I tried a little while ago to get into
Arabic sufficiently to try coding up a stemmer, and eventually abandoned
it. I found the language to difficult. So I'm not sure how well I'd get
on with Japanese.

And what about the problem of word-splitting?

M.