[Snowball-discuss] Snowball->C# compiler

From: Bradley Grainger (bgrainger@logos.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 19:48:23 BST

Hi Martin, Richard, et al,

Having used the Snowball stemmers in a C++ project for some time now, I

wanted to continue using them in a .NET application I was writing. A

quick Google search turned up no efforts along those lines (and I didn't

want to use C++/CLI), so I decided to write a Snowball->C# compiler

(based on the Snowball->Java compiler in the distribution). The C#

compiler is very similar to the Java one; I'm indebted to Richard for

his earlier work.

My efforts (as a zipped unified diff) are attached to this message. The

new and modified files are organised as follows:

* snowball/build -- Visual C++ 2005 project to build the compiler.

* snowball/compiler -- Added generator_csharp.c (based on

generator_java.c); modified headers as necessary.

* snowball/csharp/Snowball -- Implementation of SnowballProgram.cs and

Among.cs, which are support classes for the generated C# stemmers.

* snowball/csharp/SnowballTests -- A test suite that runs each stemmer

with its sample vocabulary; also includes precompiled versions of each

stemmer in the Snowball distribution.

If you like the new code, I'd be happy for it to become part of Snowball

(under the same license terms). If you do include it, please feel free

to change the directory layout or omit/rename files as you see fit.

Thanks,

Bradley