Re: [Snowball-discuss] our search capability

From: Richard Boulton (richard@tartarus.org)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 11:28:01 GMT

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 14:10, Martin Porter wrote:
> I notice the indexing is case sensitive ('finnish' and 'Finnish' are
> different terms), and recognise this as the old Company strategy where a
> word beginning upper case is indexed once as is, and a second time in lower
> case and stemmed. Can this be switched off? I think a pure lower case
> strategy would suit the web site better.
>
> It's not very important, but could be done if it's easy.

I'm just using Omega, Xapian's CGI based search application, "out of the
box". I thought there would be a configuration option to turn this
feature off, but there doesn't appear to be. I could turn it off by
hacking the source code, but I don't have the time for that right now.

Maybe someone else will add a configuration option (or tell me about one
if I've missed it). I know various Xapian hackers read this list...

--
Richard