Re: [Snowball-discuss] Out of date diffs?

From: J Smith (jsmith@tutorbuddy.com)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 00:42:01 GMT

Greets, Martin,

Well, I figured out the problem with the stemmers. I was checking the return
value of the stem() function and raising a notice if it returned 0. I assumed
a return value of 0 meant some kind of error, I guess. The problem was, I
didn't notice the error being raised as the PHP script used for testing
ignored errors of type E_NOTICE, which was being thrown. After setting the
error reporting level to catch all errors, the problem was obvious, as tons
of notices started popping up during the test script's execution.

So, long story short, *_stem() returning 0 does not indicate an error.

Sorry for raising a flag unnecessarily. This was all me.